Friday, May 29, 2009

Did you know I'm a runner?


Yeahhh----Neither did I.

Sounds funny... go head, laugh. I'm laughing right along with you. But its no joke. I'm a runner. Well, a run/walker right now but I'm going to be a runner. And hopefully within the next 149 days because on October 25th, I'll be running my first marathon. You heard me right... marathon!

Chances are if you're actually taking the time to read this (thank you by the way) you know me pretty well... and you know I'm no runner. I don't run... I gave up succeeding at that sport back on the Hillside Grade School field. I have always hated it... and I mean really hated it. But you probably also know I'm a little bit kooky... I love a challenge, I love competition (even if its with myself) and love excuses to celebrate. Still confused on how I landed on training for a marathon? So am I. But somehow I did.

A few months ago as the weather started to get nicer in NY, my adventure buddy, John and I started a routine of Saturday NY activities... that is before he ditched me and joined the Navy. We hit up museums I'd never seen before, ate at restaurants that still turn my stomach at the thought, found the world's coolest fro-yo place, walked a kajillion miles around Manhattan and biked central park (not as easy as it sounds.) It was on one of our adventures I stumbled across a "Team In Training" brochure. I'd heard of them before and had a friend who raved about her experience with the organization but never actually considered it for myself. I mean, me? A marathon runner? I don't "run." In fact I distinctly remember watching the NYC marathon last year and thinking "those people are nuts!" But I suddenly felt inspired. I loved this new routine of being active outside in NY... whether it was 12 mile walks or vigorous bike rides through Central Park. And instead of wasting money on a gym, here was an opportunity to be part of an organization that does amazing things: Raising money for Leukemia and Lymphoma research and in the process turning non-runners (me) into marathon runners (me in 149 days.) Right there... in the bike shop I decided it was time for me to get over my hatred for running and try something new.

Fortunately, crazy people tend to run in packs and I managed to rope another looney-bin into the madness. And thus, Charlie and I began our 6 month journey towards the finish line. (Check out the before picture cause those people are already gone. We plan to take turns bouncing quarters off eachothers asses in about 4 months.)

So here I am... on the eve of my 3rd Saturday "long run" and thought it was finally time to start documenting my training. It's going to be a long ride to October 25th... lots of laughs, sweat, and probably tears... but it will be worth it! If not for the satisfaction of crossing the finish line, for the stories and memories made along the way. Stay tuned... This girl's going from non-runner to Marathone runner! And she's taking that tall bearded guy with her. Yippee!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey! This is so great & truly inspiring! I am so excited to follow along and share in your progress. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. xo.

    ReplyDelete